As dusk falls on Valentine’s day in Cheltenham, the light up festival steals the limelight. More than 30 of the town’s buildings will be lit in a variety of colours, to celebrate Valentines day red will be the colour illuminating Cheltenham as a feast for the eyes. You’ll get a best view from the 35m observation wheel situated in Imperial gardens just 10 minutes walk from The Portland.
For those of you looking to explore more, guided tours of the light up festival are available and ensure you’ll not miss anything. Tickets can be purchased from Tourist Information at The Wilson or by clicking this link.
After taking in the spectacles make your way to one of the many bars and restaurants in town and enjoy your favourite foods and drinks. Here’s Tripadvisors top five (as of 2-2-2020) restaurants within close proximity to The Portland.
- Lumiere – Clarence Parade – 01242 222200 – Lumiere is a 3AA Rosette Award winning dining experience in the heart of the Cotswolds offering contemporary menus which are unique in using the very best in British, seasonal produce and drawing inspiration from the wonderful produce that is available.
- East India Cafe – Promenade – 01242 300850 – ‘East India Cafe was established in November 2014. We opened the restaurant with the philosophy of bringing the techniques of mum’s cooking into professional setting. We started researching the era of British Raj in Colonial India and brought those recipes back to life here in Cheltenham using modern cooking methods and our own twist. Our principle is to serve tasty food with a piece of history with it. This is not just a place to take care of guests hunger but also a place to come and relax with a great variety of drinks and an evening of experience.’
- KIBOU Sushi – Regent Street – 01242 300161 – Handmade sushi, Homemade Ramen, Tempura, Okonomiyaki, Donburi, Sukiyaki and a whole menu! of traditional Japanese cuisine!
- Muse Brasserie – St George’s Place – 01242 239447 – Muse Brasserie although predominantly classic French, reflects the inspiration and influence Chef Director Franck has had on his culinary journey. The menu offers an array of dishes from all over Europe with flavours from both India and the Far East playing a subtle twist in creating some new and exciting palates.
- Bangkok Kitchen – St. James Street – 01242 257720 – Experience Royal Thai cuisine in the heart of Cheltenham – come on a food adventure through Thailand with Bangkok Kitchen!
After dinner visit the Everyman Theatre for a showing of Shirley Valentine with Claire Sweeney viewing at 19.30. If the theatre isn’t your fancy, make your way to The Brewery Quarter where bars including The Cosy Club, The Botanist and The Brewhouse and Kitchen are located. Cineworld is also housed the in the Brewery Quarter along with Hollywood bowl or Mr. Mulligans Golf Adventure.
Wherever your Valentine’s Day evening in Cheltenham takes you, you’ll be set to return for a good night sleep at The Portland with our luxurious mattresses. Following a full breakfast, if you’re in no rush to head home why not book in for a spa treatment at Chapel Spa or an Afternoon tea (or even a crafternoon tea!) at Once Upon a Tearoom.
With so many options you and your loved one will be sure to create memories on your Valentine’s visit to Cheltenham.